Wednesday, June 15, 2011

ignorance and intolerance

I've been fairly easy going with some of my more conservative friends because I understand that I do go to a small private Christian university and I am in Texas. I'm not the type of person to wear my political and religious views on my sleeve, even with my close friends. But recently I have had to deal with some views and hatred towards opposing views more often than I would like to.

I'm okay with people believing different things/thinking different ways than I do... but I am definitely not okay with people shunning ideas and spewing hateful words about different ways/ideas.

I am the kind of person who will respectfully listen. But respectful listening has lead me to become very frustrated. I don't want to stop listening... I want to be there for people to tell me how they think or feel. I just can't stand for listening when the speaker won't equally have an open mind.


I am effected by the hurtful words that have come out of some of my friends mouths, whether they apply to me or not. Please do not go on bashing me or my friends for being gay/a different race/conservative/not conservative/religious/smokers/non-religious/drinkers/etc. The things people have been saying are coming from a really uneducated/ignorant view point. I really find it hard to believe how passionate people are about hating some things when they don't even understand the first thing about it. They believe the popular opinion or the opinion fed to them by "the man".

LEARN FOR YOURSELF!

And don't hate... don't be quick to judge...

Buh, I've been really down and out about this. I feel surrounded by tunnel-visioned, ear-plugged, la-la-la-ers who want to stay in their nice little bubble where things don't change.

I don't like that. I don't like that one bit.

1 comment:

  1. You have to just deal w this in Waco and at Baylor. The only reason people would bite their tongue around me was BC I am a big guy. Otherwise the anti Mexican sentiments would have been crazy. If you don't fit their mold, you're wrong. The real world is much more tolerant.

    ReplyDelete